Come & Take It
Come & Take It 2014
Come & Take It Celebration Sponsorship Packet
COMING SOON FOR 2015
Looking to help sponsor the Come & Take It Celebration? Now is your chance to differentiate yourself from the competition by supporting the most historic celebration in Texas! Download the Sponsorship Packet below.
For information, call 888-672-1095 Celebrate “Come & Take It!” with us! The dates for the Come & Take It Festival are Oct. 2, 3 & 4, 2015. The Come & Take It Festival celebrates the firing of the first shot of the Texas revolution on Oct. 2, 1835, which took place near Gonzales. Come & help us celebrate history with the firing of the first shot! The town of Gonzales was established by Empresario Green DeWitt in 1825, two and one-half miles east of the confluence of the San Marcos and Guadalupe Rivers. It was the westernmost Anglo settlement until the close of the Texas Revolution and was named in honor of Don Rafael Gonzales, provisional governor of Coahuila, Mexico and Texas. The town was laid out in the shape of a cross, with seven squares. During the colonial period of 1825 to 1835, there were many problems with Comanche and Tonkawa Indians, but Gonzales flourished. It was a thriving capital of the De Witt colony by 1833. In 1831 the Mexican government loaned the citizens of Gonzales a six-pound cannon as protection against the Indians. In September of 1835, as political unrest grew, Mexican officials at San Antonio de Bexar demanded the cannon be returned. A corporal with five soldiers and an oxcart were first sent by Col. Ugartechea, Bexar military commander, to Gonzales. The corporal carried a request that the small reinforced cannon, a bronze six-pounder, be returned to the Mexican Army. Andrew Ponton refused to relinquish it, stalling for time, and the little cannon was buried in George W. Davis’ peach orchard, near the Guadalupe River.